Friday, June 12, 2009

Wine Tasting vs. Brewery Tours

I'm sure many of you have done either a wine tasting or a brewery tour, maybe even both. If you haven't, what the hell are you waiting for? These are an absolute blast. I personally have toured 4 wineries, from Maine to New York, and have been on more than a dozen brewery tours all over New England and into New York as well. These are a great way to familiarize yourself with the processes, local flavors and to be entertained. I, myself, am a beer man. Never been much of a wine drinker. However, after touring through wine country in the Finger Lake Region of Upstate New York, I have been converted into a wine drinker. The question all these tours has raised for me is this, which do I prefer?

Wine Tasting

Wine tasting is a more sophisticated crew. You have more of the older, shit don't stink kind of crowd. They are more concerned about attempting to find a new red that pairs well with their locally raised rib eye steak. I, on the other hand, am really just looking for something to get me drunk before I go to the next location. I kind of take the brewery tour approach. In the meantime, I was introduced to Riesling on a wine tasting, and fell in love with it. Such a good, crisp, summery wine. I have, since my first tasting, turned into a little more of a sophisticate, asking more questions, and trying to learn more about the process and what ingredients cause certain tastes and flavors.

Brewery Tours

Brewery tours are good old fashioned fun. 9 times out of 10 you will have a group of college kids, no matter what brewery you are at. Almost always the tour guide stops his presentation to ask someone to quiet down or stop playing with their phone. This all sounds annoying, but it isn't at all. It is the culture, simply the way things are on brewery tours. These are typically guided by an employee of the brewery, and she/he brings you around, shows you where things are done and explains the processes to you, with the last stop in the bar area for a chance to try a selection of their offerings. We have perfected the art of walking away with a buzz, regardless of how many beers they offer you. Red Hook, for example, gives each person a small glass and pours pitchers for the group. We always belly right up to the bar, so when everyone has filled their glass, the pitcher makes its way back to the front, where we refill until it is gone. Has not failed us yet! Brewery tours are less about trying new things, and more about getting silly, at least to me.

So the question again, is which do I prefer. I guess that would depend on the company I am keeping, and what the day has in store. Being a beer man, I would prefer a brewery tour if I had to choose one or the other. Either way, I would suggest to all to get out and support your local breweries and wineries, these people work hard to provide you with your favorite libation, and they do an amazing job!

No comments:

Post a Comment