Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Expanding the palate, one beer at a time

Novare Res Bier Cafe, located in Portland's Old Port District is home of the famed "Uprising". What is the Uprising you ask. Well, hold on a second, I'm trying to tell you, just be patient! Anyways, the Uprising is Novare's attempt to get individuals to expand their palate by forcing them to drink 230 different beers (only 200 for those that were smart enough to start shortly after they opened). They have an extensive list of beers from all over the world, with styles such as lambics (a fruity, almost champagne like beverage) and rauchbiers (an almost meaty aroma and taste, think liquefied bratwurst). The idea is to get you to experience more than your usual bar offers. Many people are creatures of habit, almost getting Bud Heavy when they go out. Novare Res wants you to try new flavors and varieties, because you may find your new favorite beer in the process, something you would have never considered trying otherwise.

Well, I'm up to 21 completed at this point. I had a strong start, consuming 10 my first night. Admittedly I was a little drunky that night, and proceeded to take the next several months off from visiting the place. I have been going fairly regularly now for the past couple of weeks, and am starting to slowly make some progress. By the time I finish, I will have single handedly paid rent and all of their utilities for one month, spending something like $2,000 on beer, but if I don't spend it there it will be spent somewhere else, and it is well worth it in my opinion. You meet fun and interesting people each time you go, brethren that are on the same quest as you. It gives you a chance to compare notes, discuss what you do and don't like, and also gives you the opportunity to share some of the larger bottles, which helps cut down the cost a bit. Plus, the prize for finishing is your very own chalice, engraved with your name and the date you finished, along with a key to the room it is locked in.

Even if you decide you aren't man, or woman enough to take on this challenge, I still suggest you check the place out. You won't find a cooler spot in town.

2 comments:

  1. I do miss that place, and shall have to make a pilgrimmage next time I'm in town!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only 32 left here! Let me know when you're heading down.

    ReplyDelete