Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Homebrewing and booze making

I have been homebrewing for quite some time now. I brewed my first batch, which went through the coffee pot and fermented in an emptied out water jug, back in college. It tasted worse than dog shit (never actually tried dog shit, just assuming), but it hooked me on the concept right away. Since then, I feel as though I have gotten better with each brew. I have done about 15 batches since, brewing everything from a Red Ale (my first real batch) to a Pale Ale (my most recent) and nearly everything in between. I have used pumpkins, blueberries and blackberry extract, as well as an array of different hops and both malt extract as well as all grain. I even attempted a hard cider, which came out more like a champagne, and I still have a case of 8 oz bottles if anyone wants to kick back some one night.

In the past few years I have had a number of friends start homebrewing as well, and from what I have tasted, I'm very glad they did! Homebrewing is a great way to spend an rainy afternoon with friends. Fire up the brew kettle, crack open a few beers, and enjoy yourself. I have been wanting, for years now, to get a setup in my basement, outfitted with a racking system, stove top, sink and shelving enough to have a couple of different brews going at all times. I'm still determined to get there, just haven't taken the time to make it happen yet.

Another fun thing to do is create your own booze. While I don't have a still (yet), I am able to make my own coffee liquer, as well as fruit flavored cordials. Both of these require large amounts of vodka. The coffee liquer is fairly basic, using vodka, coffee and sugar (with a few other ingredients, but I don't want to give away my recipe!). The cordials are even more basic, consisting of just vodka, sugar and the fruit of your choice. Now, there is a process to each of these, but the end results are mighty tasty!

My next venture will be at making wine. I hope to get going with that this fall. If anyone has any experience with that, or is currently making wine, please let me know, I would love to pick your brain or look over your shoulder next time you are in the process.

2 comments:

  1. I look forward to the day when your basement is a hive of brewing and distilling activity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We should have a blueberry wheat is 4-5 weeks!

    ReplyDelete